Efficiency levels are very important when it comes to keeping your home comfortable. To save the most money when heating your home you will want to look for a high-efficiency furnace.
A good thing to look at to make sure you are getting an efficient furnace is the AFUE rating. AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. It is there to help measure the efficiency of your furnace so that you can make a smart decision when installing a new furnace in your home.
How does the furnace AFUE Rating work?
AFUE measurements are taken over a year to ensure you are getting the most accurate measurement. The AFUE measures how efficient your system is at turning the fuel it uses into heat.
So if your furnace has a rating of say 85% this indicates that 85% of the energy inside your furnaces fuel source ( say gas for example) is turned into heat. The other 15% disappears along the way and likely never enters your home. This does not include the heated air that may escape from leaky ducts etc.
What is an Optimal AFUE Rating for My Homes Furnace?
All furnaces manufactured in the U.S should have a minimum rating of 81%. However, if you are looking for a system that is energy star rated then you will be looking at furnaces with AFUE ratings of 90% and above. Obviously the higher the rating the more energy efficient your system will be.
When looking for the highest AFUE rating you will want to look at electric furnaces. These are rated between 95% and 100% and this is due to the fact that everything is contained in the inside system so there is not a lot of heat loss happening. Systems like gas with outside components may be less efficient due to the heat loss factor.
Help with Choosing the Right Furnace for Your Home
If you are looking for a furnace that gives you maximum efficiency, our team of heating experts would love to help. We work hard to find homeowners in Denver the right heating system for their home.
We will advise you on each furnaces AFUE ratings and additional advantages, letting you choose the right system for your needs.
If you are looking to install a new furnace contact the team at Grand Home Services. We work hard for homeowners across the Denver and surrounding areas to ensure their homes are comfortable year round.